Tuesday, December 2, 2014

2014 Terminology - Minimalism

Minimalism is a new terminology I learned in 2014.

Minimalism is a philosophy about maximizing the usage on the limited resource. The Minimalist philosophy has been applied but not limited to Art, Architecture, and Computing.

In 2014, I read YouTube videos and blogs about simple living and de-cluttering. I also found my home was out of space for new purchase, and I forget things sitting in the closet for years. I think it is a sign to de-clutter some of my belongings, such that I use every purchase items without wasting as well as free up space for other purpose.

I live in highly populated city. Personal space is limited. Shopping malls are easy access. I was attracted by membership and promotion discount. I have overly purchased items that cannot be consumed in one year or even many years. The mostly found past due items are Skin care products and perishable food in my home.

Three years ago, I was a loyal customer and obtained a VIP membership from a skin care company. This membership enable me to have 10 percent discount on every purchase throughout the year. I recorded each skin care item I bought. At the end of the year, I created a shopping list including products that would be bought in the following year. It also ensured my membership renewal. 

In the last two years, I purchased over fifty skin care product items, but I had never used them up. It is not only waste of money, but also not environmental friendly. I decided to make a change. 

My plan was simple, I created a shoplist of skin care items that can be consumed in one year. Then, I stick to it and avoid over purchase, buy new item only when the bottle is empty.

First, I reviewed a list of skin care items bought last year, and verify which one is overstocked. Second, knew my personal preference. For example, I preferred fewer steps in my daily skin care routine. Third, identified any products that was not suitable for myself from my list, replace them with new products.

The following is my new list of skin care products:
  • BB Cream (SPF50)
  • Cleansing Emulsion
  • Toner
  • Eye Gel
  • Face Serum 
  • Face Balm (only for winter or travel)
  • Cleansing Foam (for morning)
  • Cleansing Mask
  • Moisturizing Mask
I also needed hand cream and body lotion, but I received them as gift from friends and family. When they want to buy me souvenir or seasonal presents, I told them I prefer consumable items such as hand cream and lotion.

At the end of 2014, I minimized my skin care collection. I also emptied my refrigerator by not over stocking. Next, I plan to do de-clutter my overwhelmed clothing and accessories collection. Unfortunately, it is rather a large pile of clothing, than a fashionable collection. I would like to make a Capsule Wardrobe, but I understand it may take months or years. 

Please continue to read posts about my Hiking Goal and Mentoring in 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment