Friday, December 5, 2014

2014 Mentoring

In simple words, Mentorship means two person establish trust and relationship, in which one person share experience or skill to another person. The one who has expertise to share is called Mentor, while the other one is called Mentee or Protege. 

As an experienced Information System professional, I used to be Mentor 
at the workplace. In 2014, I want to explore something different from my career, that is, pursuing Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) study. I wished I had opportunity to discuss with Professor or Postgraduate student about mature student return to school in this field.

Normally, college arranged a Professor as program co-ordinator or director, in order to promote the program of study, or to help prospect student understand the program. 

Hence, I started with looking up the right program for myself, followed by identifying those Colleges close to my hometown. I was lucky to be in touch with one program co-ordinator of Information System Management (ISM). The professor was so nice to answer my questions, and gave me guidance as well.

On the other hand, I was fortunate that to meet a Post-PHD student who is in Information Technology. He provided me meticulous information about the academic life, career prospect, and struggle.

In the first conversation with professor, I was a mentee. In the second conversation with PHD student, I was both a mentee and mentor. It become interesting because the PHD student want to know more about the career in IT industry. For example, what type of job role in the job market is available that close to his skill, what should be prepared for an interview that is not academic or research base, and what are the guidance down the road in the commercial industry. In this case, my experience in commercial industry made me a mentor in this relationship.

My experience clearly shows that learning can be from anyone and anywhere. The role of mentor and mentee may not be one way, but two way. It is all depends who has the expertise and knowledge to share and who want to be given.    

In 2015, I would like to meet at least one more professor and one student in the ISM field.

No comments:

Post a Comment